Taking too long? Close loading screen.
Cheema Medical Complex


Home  »  Blog

Does Butter Go Bad If You Don’t Refrigerate It?

Butter is a popular baking ingredient and spread. When you put it in the refrigerator it becomes very hard and then you have to melt it to make it soften when you want to use it.

This is the main reason why some people store the butter in the counter rather than in the refrigerator. So, now the main question is whether the butter goes bad when you leave it out open. We will explore in this article what happen when we store the butter in the fridge?

High-Fat Content:

As butter is a dairy product, it means that it is made from the milk. Butter is very high in fat. You will find 3% fat in the milk, 40% fat in heavy cream, on the other hand, butter contains 80% body fat and the rest 20% left is mostly water. It does not contain any carbs and proteins. Due to it higher fat content it becomes so thick and when we put it in the fridge it becomes hard.


So usually people store it in the room temperature so that it can be ideal for spreading and cooking.

It does not spoil as quickly as other dairies:

 Butter does not support bacterial growth as it mostlontains fat content and only 20% of water in it. Now if we will make the butter salted then it additionally lowers the water content, so the butter then becomes inhospitable to bacteria.

Stays fresh longer in the refrigerator:

Raw, whipped, unsalted butter is kept in the fridge to minimize the chances of any kind of bacterial growth. If the butter is salted then there is no need to store in the fridge because there is no risk of bacterial growth in it due to less water content.

In some of the studies, it is found that butter can also be kept for months at room temperature it will not become bad. But it will remain fresh if we will store it in the refrigerator, as refrigeration slows down the oxidation process. So, if you want your butter to be fresh and want to keep it for a long time then you must store it in the fridge.


On the other hand, if your room temperature is from 21-25 degree then it is preferable to store it in the fridge to keep it fresh. If you want to put it on the counter then you can put only that amount of butter which can be used in very short interval of time. You can store a large amount of butter in your fridge and it can keep it fresh for up to 1 year.

Tips for Storing Butter on the Counter:

While the most type of butter should be kept in the fridge but sometimes it is fine to store or to keep the butter on the counter if it is salted. Now here are the few tips you can follow in order to let your butter fresh for a long time on the counter.

  • Only keep a small amount on the counter.
  • Store it in an airtight container.
  • Store it out of the fridge if the room temperature Isles then 21*c.
  • Keep it away from the stove, sunlight or any source of heat.

So, that was all about Does Butter Go Bad If You Don’t Refrigerate It? Stay tuned for more.