Around the late 40’s and early ’50s, women begin to menopause. Most of them face noticeable signs and symptoms.
Women during menopause are at higher risks of several diseases like osteoporosis, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
Here we have discussed some menopausal symptoms and their remedies.
Symptoms of menopause include:
- Hot Flashes-Sudden heat arising from the face, neck, or chest, causing an increase in heart rate.
- Night sweats- Hot flashes that occur during the night
- Vaginal changes– decrease in ovarian hormone production may lead to vaginal dryness or atrophy and a decline in sexual function. Inflammation, itching, and discomfort of the vagina may occur.
- Disturbed sleeping- Night sweats may cause interruptions during sleep.
- Mood changes- Women are more likely to experience depression and low mood during menopause, resulting in low libido, or sex drive.
- Urinary changes- Women tend to be more susceptible to urinary tract infections (UTIs) during menopause, such as cystitis. A disruption in urine cycle can be noticed.
- Menopause associated bone loss or osteoporosis– due to the decrease in density of bone
Solutions or Treatment
Not all women require treatment for menopause. However, it is advisable to visit a doctor if symptoms are affecting the quality of life.
Depending on the menopausal symptoms, medical history, and personal preferences, women can choose amongst the following:
- Low-dose antidepressants, like fluoxetine
- Hot flashes can be treated using gabapentin like Neurontin
- Treatments for osteoporosis include dietary supplements and drug therapy
- To treat vaginal dryness, dyspareunia, and some urinary problems, apply vaginal estrogen.
- Establish a regular sleep schedule and sleep routine.
Hormonal Replacement Therapy
Hormone replacement therapy also known as menopausal hormone therapy (MHT) helps balance estrogen and progesterone in women around the time of menopause.
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can help relieve sweating, hot flashes, and other symptoms of menopause, along with reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
Based on your health history and your family health history, hormone therapy can be highly individualized. If the risks outweigh the benefits for you, our professionals at CMC, Mohali can offer alternatives to help you manage symptoms. Seek their guidance to get your menopausal solutions.