Hemorrhoids are swollen and extra large blood vessels that are present in the lower part of the rectum and the anus. The blood vessels start swelling due to increased pressure within them.
The swollen blood vessels can occur inside and around the anus and the anal canal and bleeding can be seen in patients at the time of going to the toilet.
The main and foremost step is to diagnose whether the patient is actually suffering from the problem or there is some other problem.
Diagnosis of piles is usually made by patient’s history and by doing physical examination by the health-care doctor or a professional.
Inspection of the anus is made at first. After that, a digital rectal examination is often performed for clarity. Depending upon the scenario, his past medical records, medications and stability of the patient, treatment may follow with no further testing.
• Internal hemorrhoids may not be diagnosed by physical examination only. It is possible that they may not be able to be felt, even by digital rectal exam.
• Prolapsed internal and external hemorrhoids may be detected by visualization when the health care doctor examines the anus.
• External hemorrhoids can be diagnosed just by looking at it.
Treatment of piles without surgery:
Treatment of piles without surgery is definitely possible. Not all cases of haemorrhoids do require surgery but one must first understand the stage the disease is in, before exploring alternative treatments.
• Severe pain
• embarrassing feeling, during litter
• rigorous pain
• bleeding after going to the toilet to pass stools
are some of the major symptoms that are seen in various patients. The basic reason for all these symptoms is piles or fistula.
Piles Treatment in accordance with their stages:
• Piles Stages 1 – 2 is a basic stage and can be treated without surgery.
Piles falling in the category of the first and second category is in a mild condition and can be treated easily with the intake of high fiber diet or other supplements rich in fiber.Patient must take plenty of water to soften the stool to avoid damaging the anal canal.
Flavonoids which basically plant extract work quite well to shrink these piles. It’s essential to stop smoking nicotine as it is well known to cause more bleeding and relapses. Spending too much time on in toilet means you are suffering from constipation and this must be avoided.
• Piles Stages 3 – 4 is an advanced stage and do require surgery.
Third and fourth stages of piles require surgery as a treatment for proper cure. Conventional methods of surgery are avoided by many with the belief that they will recur in future.
Non-surgical Treatment for Piles:-
There are certain treatments in which a patient is required to go into hospital for curing the problem but the surgery is not required. Since there is no surgery involved you need not stay overnight. These methods include the following:-
In this method, a small elastic band is placed around the pile. This band cuts off the blood supply due to which it die and fall off after a few days. The area that is left behind starts healing up naturally.
In this method, oily phenols are injected into the pile masses mostly on the base region.This, in turn, shrinks the piles & clot the blood inside piles.
3. Laser treatment
This method makes use of infra-red light to seal the veins above the piles which cause it to shrink and thus curing the problem.
4. Direct current electrotherapy treatment and bipolar diathermy
This method makes use of an electrical current which destroys the pile.
PREVENTION OF PILES
Small changes in lifestyle can make your bowels regular & feces soft, thus preventing constipation and piles.
1. Eat plenty of fibre-rich foods for example fruits of all kinds, vegetables, wholegrain cereal, wholegrain rice, nuts, beans, and pulses.
2. Make a habit to drink plenty of fluids and water.Practice light but the regular exercise in your daily routine.
3. Try avoiding caffeinated drinks and for sure the consumption of alcohol.
4. Avoid sitting for a long time in the same place and do walk small distances.
5. Don’t fight the urge, when you have to urinate just go.