Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job or nose reshaping, is surgery to repair or reshape the nose.
When can rhinoplasty be performed?
It can be done to:-
- Reduce or increase the size of the nose
- Change the shape of the tip or the nasal bridge
- Narrow the opening of the nostrils
- Nostrils that are large, wide or upturned
- Change the angle between the nose and the upper lip
- A nasal tip that is enlarged or bulbous, drooping, upturned or hooked
- Correct a birth defect or injury
- Help relieve some breathing problems
The surgery is performed under anesthesia either general or local depending on the type of surgery or the patient’s preference. It doesn’t take the surgeon more than an hour or so to complete the procedure.
There are no visible scars if the rhinoplasty is performed from inside the nose. If the procedure involves narrowing of flared nostrils, there may be small scars at the base of the nose that is not often visible.
The surgeon places splints outside the nose as well as inside the nostrils. They help in maintaining the shape of the nose as well as nasal septum post surgery.
The patients are usually allowed to go home on the same day as the surgery. It is normal for the nose and face to swell right after the surgery. The area may be painful too. Headaches are common to be noted. The nasal packing is usually removed in 3 to 5 days. The splint may be left in place for 1 to 2 weeks. Healing will take a few weeks.
We recommend you to visit our surgeon at CMC, Mohali to get rhinoplasty done under the best hands.