Nutritional supplements are meant to enhance your health and are taken usually to fill our nutrient gaps. Commonly used supplements may include vitamins, minerals, and herbal products, also known as botanicals.
Though it’s possible to get all the nutrients you need by eating a variety of healthy foods, supplements can be useful for filling in gaps in your diet.
Nutritional Supplements may play the following role in your life:
- Boosts your immune system
- Helps deal with the stress, poor sleep, and dietary deficiencies
- Keep your body and hormones balanced
- Easy for your body to absorb and utilize
- Help with oxidative stress
Some most common supplements include:
- Calcium- supports bone health
- Vitamin D- helps the body absorb calcium
- Vitamin C and E are antioxidants—molecules that prevent cell damage and help to maintain health.
- Iron- childbearing age women
- Vitamin B12 – to keep nerve and blood cells healthy.
- Fish oil can promote heart health
Sometimes supplements may cause side effects, in cases:
- When taken before surgery or with other medicines
- Certain health conditions
- High doses of beta carotene have a greater risk of lung cancer in smokers.
- Calcium and vitamin D is larger than expected amounts can increase the risk of kidney stones.
- High doses of vitamin E may lead to stroke due to bleeding in the brain.
- Vitamin K can interfere with the anti-clotting effects of blood thinners.
- Taking high doses of vitamin B6 for a year or longer has been associated with nerve damage that can impair body movements
It is essential to know the chemical makeup, how it’s prepared, and how the supplements work in the body. Before taking any supplement, talk to a health care provider for advice on whether you need a supplement in the first place.
Consult our highly skilled team of doctors at CMC, Mohali to learn about their potential benefits and any risks they may pose first.