A ‘well woman examination’ is a preventive care measure and is essential to keep up the track of your reproductive health.
“Preventive care includes health services like screenings, check-ups, and patient counseling that are used to prevent illnesses, disease, and other health problems, or to detect illness at an early stage when treatment is likely to work best. Getting recommended preventive services and making healthy lifestyle choices are key steps to good health and well-being.”, quotes Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
As it is said, “precaution is better than cure”, getting a routine annual examination can help you identify serious health concerns before they become life-threatening.
What does a Woman’s Annual Exam involve?
- Breast examination to check for lumps, skin changes, or nipple discharge.
- Pelvic examination :
- To examine your vulva, vagina, cervix, uterus, rectum, and pelvis, including your ovaries, for masses, growths or other abnormalities.
- To check for sexually transmitted diseases.
- A Pap test and HPV test as a screen for cervical cancer.
- Mammogram (especially in women above 40 years of age)
Apart from the above tests, your gynecologist might test your bone density. He or she can guide you with birth control. A proper diet analysis will be done and deficiencies will be worked upon. After taking your past medical and family history, your doctor might also recommend the following laboratory tests:
- Complete blood count
- Urinalysis (UA)
- Lipid profile
Whatever your age is, it is crucial for you to get yourself physically examined well in time. Visit CMC, Mohali to consult our gynecologist, who is best in Mohali.