Melasma is a common skin condition which consists of grey brown to brown patches present on the skin. It is more predisposed on the cheeks, nose bridge, forehead, chin, and upper lip. The prevalence ranges from 1.5 to 33 percent depending on the population.
The causative factors are:
Genetic predisposition may be a major factor in the development of melasma.
• Melasma is more common in females than in males.
• Persons with darker skin types are more prone to the development of melasma.
• Approximately 50% report a positive family history of the condition.
Excessive sun exposure
• Excessive sun exposure without any sun protection is also one of the precipitating cause for melasma
Hormones may play a role in developing melasma in some individuals.
• Melasma is very commonly found in pregnancy.
• There is increased prevalence in patients on oral contraceptive treatment and hormonal replacement therapy.
• There is a four-fold increase in thyroid disease in melasma patients.
There are a number of treatments for melasma, the scope of which would be discussed later on.
Consult our highly skilled dermatologist at CMC Mohali if you are suffering from Melasma or any kind of skin problem.